Thursday, January 20, 2011

Digital Native or Immigrant: Which One Am I?

In order to understand the differences between a Digital Immigrant and Digital Native, one must know the meaning of the two words: Native and Immigrant. A native is one that is familiar with the ways of the land or a certain way of living. An immigrant is one that migrates to a new land or place; this is the difference between the the two words. In the reading Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants by Marc Prensky, the author describes the differences between those who have been born into the new "technological age"(Digital Natives) and those who have been born into "Olden days"(Digital Immigrants).

When asked the question, "which one are you?", I must reflect on my life. My parents were not rich, most people I knew that had computers had parents who were rich. At the time, computers were very expensive and we couldn't afford one. Well soon my school got computers and I was then classified as a Digital Immigrant. Throughout the years, even though I didn't have a computer of my own until 2003, I slowly was raised into the digital age and now I have my own laptop, iPod, and cell phone. I now consider my self a digital native, even though new technology is emerging I am still learning it very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment